GUI Overhaul for v5
I've once again begun to feel that the visual presentation of Flowering Nightshade is not quite what it should be, and so lately I've been working on some more attempts to improve the GUI and other visual elements of the game. As such, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce some of the changes in advance so that it's not as big of a surprise when the next version comes out.
- PC and Tablet version has been changed from an internal resolution of 800x600 to 1280x720. (Aspect ratio changed from 4:3 to 16:9.)
- Phone version has been changed from an internal resolution of 400x600 to 720x1280. (Aspect ratio changed from 2:3 to 9:16.)
- Internal font sizes increased across the board to fit the new resolutions.
- Some solid-color backgrounds have been replaced by Python-created solids, potentially allowing for a slight file size decrease in the future.
- Title menu has been redesigned, especially for mobile devices. "Cover Art" version of the characters has been added to the main screen on both versions.
- Navigation bar has been repositioned to provide more space for individual game screens. This allows the story and configuration menus to display larger elements on phones.
- "Text Background" option renamed on phones to reflect how it works, and refactored internally to make it easier to work with.
- Character and background scales reworked. Backgrounds should now stretch to fit the visual field available on the device being used, while character art should now be scaled to show properly on either device type.
To-do and Unconfirmed Changes:
- Fix the font size of the alternate font.
- Fix the size of the save buttons on mobile devices.
- Internal changes to allow backporting the new system to Blooming Nightshade.
I suspect a lot of the above may sound boring to most people, but I hope the final result makes the game easier to play and/or nicer to look at. Trying to figure out a way to support the same set of features and visual elements on two different aspect ratios and control schemes has been rough, so I always want to look into any possibility of improvement.
At any rate, take a look at the screenshots to see how the Android phone version of the game is looking like so far. Once these changes are more solidified I may also provide some screenshots of the PC version, or else allow Demo v5's screenshots show those changes. I hope people continue to enjoy the game!
Get Flowering Nightshade
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.